Thursday, March 14, 2019

Diary Entry 3/2 Dr. James Wilhelm

Mars continues to both be a wondrous place and one of great turmoil and violence. After our excursion through the Martian desert and our interesting ship ride from Meepsoor to Syrtis Major, I figured things would settle down and I’d enjoy the sites. Sadly this has not been the case.

Upon arriving at Syrtis Major myself, Esmerelda, and Waldmont disembarked our ship and was met by Charles Ottway of the Colonial Office. He gave us a quick debrief about the goings on and upon mentioning the rebellion in Shastapsh, let us know that a new cruiser being built in the yard would deal with that problem. We also saw a ship powered by a steam engine heading towards the shipyard that Ottway looked at with some awe. He told us that the ship was Captain Bernaby’s, a leader among the Red Captains.

We were told the two best places to stay were either the Savoy or the Explorer’s Club located in the city. We opted for Explorer’s club for both monetary and information reasons. After trying to get rid of to no avail all the sand and dirt that had accumulated on my belongings and myself, Waldmont and I headed out to visit the sites. Now I was finally starting to feel like I could do what I do best, use my inventions to investigate and not get into a terrible amount of trouble.

We gave some talks at the Explorer’s club regaling our adventures thus far to our audience that seemed enthralled in our tales. We had finally found peace and went to bed for the first time comfortable and with little fear. Alas, this was but a short respite from the trouble that was right around the corner.

The following day we went to a place called the Sunset Tide for some Bhutan Tea and hoping to gather some information that would help Esmeralda. Of course much to my dismay we overhear some Martians discussing the new cruiser and blowing it up. I cannot understand why these Martians are so resistant towards some culture and civility being brought to their dying planet.

Waldmont and I realized we needed to do something to preserve the new ship, so we headed to the address we overheard, 2244 Old Harbor Road, after failing to find Ottway. We guessed correctly that the conspirators were in a room facing the Shipyard and Waldmont sneaked up to investigate. I eventually joined him and, using my incredible helm, heard the Martians speaking in High Oenotrian, discussing that their “Red Devil” allies were ready to move and that the English would be surprised.

We ended up engaging the 5 traitors to the crown. I’m beginning to think that instead of just being seen as an oddity my incredible inventions are making me a target. I received several wounds, as a result of which I was forced to take a swig of my grandfather’s ole cough medicine. Waldmont chastised me for doing such a thing but I did not see him with several bullet wounds.

We eventually forced the enemy to flee with 1 dying & 1 jumping out the window to his death, capturing one, and 2 escaping. We took our prisoner to the colonial office where we had to conduct the interrogation. Things quickly went sideways as the prisoner got out of his bonds when Waldmont went near them and attacked him. I went to block his escape and he tackled me. While we were grappling on the floor Waldmont came over and ended up killing the prisoner.

He is a big game hunter and well respected among the community but sometimes I wonder whether my compatriot has not spent a little too long out in the wild and among the beasts. His willingness to use lethal force so quickly and effectively does worry me on occasion.

Esmerelda walked in seeing Waldmont with a machete and me on the ground covered in Martian blood screamed and ran away. I hope someday she can realize it wasn’t my fault and we can work together again. Unfortunately we had even bigger problems now. The rumour of death of a local by British hands had spread faster than a fire ever could. We needed to proceed with caution.

A caution my compatriot was a little less willing to follow. He went to The Greenfield Inn to investigate and said he found where the conspirators’ main base of operations was. Apparently, his lack of caution paid off in this instance. Getting in without being noticed would be difficult but fortunately instead of using his blunt force trauma entrance I came up with an ingenious idea of using liftwood and some rope to allow us to enter through the window.

Others might have tried a ladder but I say liftwood is quieter than a creaking ladder, and also far more exhilarating.

Upon reaching the window we entered and much to my horror saw the traitors had built glider bombers. Something needed to be done and once again upon careful inspection using my Helm I was able to sabotage the release mechanisms and we left to find another way to ensure these rapscallions were properly confronted. To our surprise Captain Barnaby was still in port with a skeleton crew and was willing to aid us for Queen and Country.

Later that night we along with Captain Barnaby and his crew engaged the enemy in a light air confrontation. My sabotage worked perfectly not allowing a single bomb to fall upon the new cruiser and after several well placed shots by Waldmont and my own rifle aided once again by my Helm we had a special light show with bombs bursting in air.

We are not sure whether any of the conspirators made an escape or died upon crash landing. All I do know is Mars is a very interesting place and I assume more trouble will find us soon.

Dr. James Wilhelm

No comments:

Post a Comment